Monday, August 14, 2006

Geula - hopefully going home soon


Geula is a neighborhood in Jerusalem. It also means "redemption". However, Geula Jerusalem is a place that raises my short hairs.

The pic doesn't really capture how dirty, smelly, noisy, and croweded this area is.

Makes me want to go home to Tsfat.

So we're giving the cease-fire a couple of days to measure how well it sticks. Basically a typical cease-fire with our Arab cousins has amounted to "We cease, they fire."

We aren't pleased that katyushas were still raining on the whole Galilee region yesterday, and that WITH our troops up to and over the Litani river. Can you say "Kiryat Shmona will become a life style"? Hope not.

So we will wait until the end of the week. The kids have camp until then, and I have been invited to a good friend's celebration of her first grandchildren (twins) and a wedding this week. I can really look forward to going home.

4 comments:

SarahReznor said...

yuch.. i HATE Geula! I drive through it every day on the way to work... are you home yet?

TsfatMarm said...

Came home on Friday!!! It was sooooo good to be back. Sunday, after work (neener, I get to walk a pleasant 20 minutes with an incredible view of the Galil mountains stretching out in front of me, NO GEULA!), I went into town to run errands.

It took me three hours to run errands, because all my shopkeepers had to tell me their stories of the war, and vice versa. It's a small town and I'm friends with all my shopkeepers.

Just so glad to be back.

Anonymous said...

Your pictures are beautiful. But, oy, please don't speak about Eretz Yisroel this way!: "The pic doesn't really capture how dirty, smelly, noisy, and croweded this area is."

TsfatMarm said...

What's the chazal about not judging until you've walked a mile in another's shoes?

I was a REFUGEEE from a WAR when I posted this. Normally I live in a green, nice smelling, quiet area of Aretz Yisroel. Geula is always difficult for me at best.

While my comments may have been avak lashon hara about Geula, it would be difficult to misconstrue them as such about all of Aretz Yisrael.

The halachah of tochecha, OTOH, is that you have to know me well enough to know whether I'll accept your rebuke.